Print Friendly and PDF
Are you a first-timer to LDS Perfect Day! If so, welcome!
Click here to see what this blog is all about and how you can get the most out of it.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

04. Inspired Music: A Powerful Spiritual Weapon

Note: This is one of a series of posts devoted to the study of D&C 93:1, and the fourth examining the phrase "cometh unto me".

In my previous post, you read about music composers who transcribed feelings and vibrations they attributed to God, and transformed those raw elements into music, which in turn helps you come unto God.

"The source of their inspiration is the same power which enabled Jesus to work his miracles.  It is the same power which created the earth, and the whole universe." (Michael Ballam)

I have my own, personal testimony that the power of music can heal a soul. Indeed,
"Elder Boyd K. Packer has wisely suggested memorizing some of the inspiring songs of Zion and then, when the mind is afflicted with temptations, to sing aloud, to keep before your mind the inspiring words and thus crowd out the evil thoughts (see Ensign, Jan. 1974, p. 28).  This could also be done to crowd out debilitating, depressive thoughts." (Pres. Ezra Taft Benson, "Do Not Despair," October 1974 General Conference).

But what about homes and families?


Several years ago, I gave a priesthood blessing to someone who was having a lot of troubles in their home.  In the blessing, the person was invited to do something to help restore order to the chaos and light to a dark situation:

"If you will play inspiring music, evil will flee from your home."

I'd never considered that before.  The solution was so simple, so easily implemented.  Sure enough, within days, the person reported to me that their home life had dramatically stabilized.

Can that be true?  Can music help you gain a toehold over the stresses, tensions and conflicts which inevitably arise in your home and your family?

For an answer, take a look at 1 Samuel 16:23:
"And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him."
Here, the efforts of a simple shepherd boy, playing a harp, had power over (and cast out) evil spirits -- an extremely simple solution to a complex problem.
"Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah." (Psalms 32:7)
The spirit chooses wherever it wants to dwell, and many times, it chooses to dwell in music.

And I believe that by playing inspirational music in your home, you can proactively create an environment that literally resonates with light -- an environment that the evil one will forsake (D&C 93:37).  And in so doing, you are fulfilling the injunction given to you to bring up your children in truth and light (D&C 93:39-40).

I promise you that God speaks to you.  Often.

Sometimes, it's through beautiful sunsets.  Other times, it's through a clear, starry night.

Sometimes, His voice is as thunder.  Other times, it's a still, small voice.

And in all these variations, there are vibrations.  There is light.

There is music.  It's all around you.

All you have to do...is listen.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post my friend! The post itself was music to my ears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a surround sound system in my bedroom. It is connected to my TV and my computer. When I am ready for bed, I turn on my surround sound system and from having created an instrumental church hymn playlist begin to listen to this wonderful inspiring music as I fall asleep. When I awake in the morning, the music is still playing. It might use a little electricity but well worth it to me. This way I lay down unto the Lord and rise unto the Lord. This great music is the last thing that I hear at night and the first thing that I hear when I awake in the morning. Ken H

    ReplyDelete